Tuesday, April 20, 2010

roadtrip day three, part one - april 16th (scroll down for previous days)

nauvoo, illinois to... hmm...

The first stop on Friday was at Carthage Jail in Carthage, IL.  Wow.  It is an incredible place.  The visitors center has a video that talks about the events leading up to the Prophet's martyrdom, then you take a tour of the jail.  In the video, there is a part where Joseph is leaving his family for the last time.  Emma asks Joseph if he will come back, and he doesn't answer her.  Instead, they embrace and share their love for one another before he leaves.  On the way to Carthage, Joseph and Hyrum, on horseback, stopped in front of the Nauvoo Temple, not then complete, and admired the beautiful work. 


This statue is in front of the Nauvoo Temple and represents the journey to Carthage.

The following link is to pbs.org, it tells the story of the martyrdom.  It is not a church related link, but the story is explained better than I could do it. 



The stairs the mob rushed up. 

The door at the top of the stairs is a jail cell, after the martyrdom, John Taylor was hidden under a straw mattress in the jail cell and this saved his life because the straw helped stop his bleeding.  The room where the men were, is to the right of the stairs.  It was actually the jailer's bedroom.


the bullet that made this hole hit Hyrum as he was trying to hold the door shut






pardon the emotional wreckage

the top window is where Joseph fell from





Joseph and Hyrum truly did seal the work they performed on the Earth with their blood.  I love the verses written by John Taylor found in the 135th section of the Doctrine and Covenants:

 "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord’s anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated!"

One more Joseph quote.  This one is on display at the site as well.

"I never feel to force my doctrine upon any person, I rejoice to see prejudice give way to truth, and the traditions of men dispersed by the pure principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

2 comments:

  1. I forgot your blog went private so I hadn't checked it in awhile. That is why I didn't know where you were :) What a fun roadtrip. The pee bottles is disgusting and reminds me of Dumb and Dumber. I'm sure I would have vomited. I would love to go to Nauvoo someday. I'm glad you had a good experience there. Most of all, I'm glad you made it safe and sound. Enjoy the summer and keep updating. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see pee in bottles aka urinals every time I go to work. Just one of the joys of my job. :)

    ReplyDelete