Friday, April 23, 2010

roadtrip day four - april 17th (scroll down for previous days)

driving, driving, driving... to rochester, new york

So, I'd mentioned our sweet setup in the back of the car, right?  So after we left Chicago, I drove for awhile while Greg relaxed, then he started driving and I fell right asleep.  We drove and drove and I woke up when we were getting off a freeway exit.  I asked Greg where we were and he told me to go back to sleep.  Then, a few minutes later (It was abou 5 a.m.), we stopped on the side of a road in a little town, and again, I asked where we were.  He pointed to a building and said "see that building?  That is the Kirtland Temple".  Cool!!  Kirtland wasn't in our plans to see while we roadtripped, but it happened to be right along the way.  I'm SO glad Greg decided to pull off!  We decided to nap in the car for a few hours until the Kirtland visitors center opened.  It was well worth the extra time.

Kirtland is where a lot of revelation in the Doctrine and Covenants came.  The School of the Prophets was also in Kirtland, and SO much other neat stuff!  So, this was a very fun and unexpected stop on our trip.




inside of the store


anything that says BEAN deserves a photo, right??


It was really neat learning about the Kirtland Temple.  It is owned by the Community  of Christ (RLDS).  This temple was the first temple and was used as a training temple.  Different revelation was given here, but it wasn't used as a temple today is used.

meeeeee!

After we left Kirtland, we drove and drove some more to reach our next destination... Niagara Falls!!  Honestly, I didn't really care for the town too much, but the falls were spectacular!  We went on the Maid of the Mist boat... it takes you out in front of the falls and you get very wet from all of the mist!  It was kind of a pain because it was already only about 40 degrees this day, but it was still fun to go on the boat.  I'll tell you one thing... don't let some little tourist shop trick you into believing you'll miss the boat if you don't spend bukoo bucks on their tour.  We fell for it and paid WAY too much money for the thing.  Again I will say, I'm SO glad we did the boat tour.  Wahoo! (oh, and for the record, I totally wanted to find the church where Jim and Pam got married, but Greg thought I was lame!!  )  :)


in front of the falls

the little boat down there is just like the one we went on


we're too good looking in our ponchos





i wish you could tell how wet we got!!

No comments:

Post a Comment