So after Niagara, we drove to Rochester, New York and stayed in a KOA campground. We slept in the back of the Highlander... mostly, we were just looking for a place we could shower. A five day roadtrip can definitely seem anti-hygenic.
We ended up sleeping in that morning until NOON. We couldn't believe it! After we got everything situated, we headed out to make the last stretch of the trip. Palmyra, Sacred Grove, the Hill Cumorah and the Grandin Building. We first stopped at the Smith Farm. This is where Joseph Smith lived when he went out to the grove and the First Vision occured. Most of the buildings were replicas, so we didn't get a lot of pictures. The Palmyra Temple is on the original acreage of the farm. Pretty sweet!
original smith frame home (not where joseph lived as a boy)
the temple overlooks the sacred grove
"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"
-Joseph Smith History
We were in the Sacred Grove all by ourselves. It can be a very busy place, but we got lucky by going at just the right time of year. We were able to sit in quiet, alone in this sacred place.
After we left the Sacred Grove, we went up to the Hill Cumorah.
view from the top of the hill
Then off to the Grandin Press to visit the publication site of the original Book of Mormon.
inside the main store (i wish i would've taken a picture outside)
one of the original 5,000 copies
one of three originals of this painting
original moroni painting
the machinery here is not original, but the floors and walls are all original. there is ink and oil spilled on the walls from when the press was running.
These are the original floorboards. Joseph Smith walked on this floor as he was working to have the Book of Mormon published. It is symbolic to me of the entire trip. I was in the same places where the Church was restored. I was blessed to see these places and be where the Prophet Joseph once was. In fact, I was able to be somewhere that our Savior and Heavenly Father have been. I am so happy to have been on this trip. Learn what I have learned, and feel what I felt.
It's that area fantastic! I have never had more of a spiritual witness than when i was in the Sacred Grove! I will NEVER deny the Joseph Smith Story! And to think of Mornoni comming to Joseph in that small room in his house with his brothers and sisters sleeping through the whole thing! Wow!
ReplyDeleteHow fun that you two were able to see all of the church history sites. I've always wanted to go...someday. How neat to have walked in the sacred grove!!!
ReplyDelete