Monday, February 22, 2010

dust pans and blushing cheeks

Well well well... I will just admit it up front that I am just horrible at keeping my apartment clean.  I am good at cleaning, just not maintaining the cleaning and keeping it up as we make the messes.  So, if you ever ask what I am up to and I say cleaning ALL THE TIME, this is why.  I am grateful to have a husband who insists our house is kept picked up.  If I didn't have him, I would probably live in a dump and end up in a deep deep depression.  So, even though it gets on my nerves sometimes, thanks babe for trying to help me be motivated to keep this place clean.

So today, I decided I was going to get everything cleaned up.  Don't you worry, I procrastinated this most of the day by playing with the puppies.  Finally, I decided it was time.  I always seem to get distracted during the cleaning process and it slows me down.  So I decided to go one room at a time, and set a timer with how fast I think I should be able to pick everything up.  I was surprised at how it went!  Here are my times (mind you, I didn't deep clean, just picked up and wiped things down).

bathroom - 5 minutes
bedroom - 10 minutes
kitchen - 5 minutes
laundry, folded and put away - 10 minutes
living room - 15 minutes

This task that is so daunting to me, only ended up taking 45 minutes!! 
 Soon, I'll be cleaning with a smile like this...

(and I wouldn't mind legs like this either!)

The second part of this entry will be about my sudden SHYNESS!  I know, who would have thought that I would be shy?  I am just having a hard time talking to people without it being SUPER awkward.  The reason I bring this up is that tomorrow night some girls in our ward are having a "Girls Night Out"... going to dinner and a movie.  I am seriously debating whether I should go or not.  I just don't have the confidence to get to know people from scratch anymore. 

Since we've moved, I've basically made one really good friend and a handful of more casual friends.  I totally understand that making friends takes time, but for some reason, I feel SO awkward getting to know people.  I'm sure the fact that I totally freak myself out before hand doesn't help at all. 

So awkward.

4 comments:

  1. I almost thought it was me writing this post. We are pretty similar girly. My husband is usually the reason my house is clean. I used to think I would grow up and be a great housekeeper but it turns out that a little mess doesn't really bug me. Well, it bugs me, just not enough to get up and do anything about it. I have good days and bad days as far as that goes. I struggle in the friendship department too. Looking back to my younger days, I feel like I was friendly and easy to get along with and easy to be friends with but I've struggled the past couple of years. I have zero confidence and feel super awkward. When I do go do something with new people, I come home wondering if I said something dumb and assuming they will never invite me again. Life is hard that way. Hang in there . . . I'm trying to :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki! It's Jill from the ward. I'm so glad you are coming tonight...and that you added me on FB...and that's how I found your blog. :o) You are adorable. Don't worry, you're not alone. I feel like a totally idiot when meeting new people and I get super shy too...which is probably why I haven't talked to you much yet!!! I'm excited you're coming tonight so we can all get to know you better. Love the blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously ladies? You're both super cute and super friendly. Tonight should be fun. I'm just glad to get out of the house for the first time in 3 months. Yahoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your house staying clean now... because someday you will have a two-year-old running around making it messy faster than you can clean (bless her little soul!).
    Have fun at girls night! You are the funnest girl ever! I have always felt awkward in social situations, so I totally understand how you feel... but you have no need to. Everyone loves you!

    ReplyDelete